Outstanding Financial Success
- Remarkable financial position - reduced the projected deficit by 80% for the first full financial year.
- Limited rate increases, despite the dire prediction that our rates would rise by 28.45% in the first year alone.
- Commended by the Queensland Audit office (QAO).
Grant Funding success
- Over $30 million obtained in external grants for major infrastructure projects, including Port Douglas Water Reservoir, Daintree Gateway, Flood Resilience projects, Disaster Recovery Works and the Mossman Aged care Facility.
- Biggest capital works program in the history of the Douglas Shire.
- Vital long overdue capital works – largest ever in the history of the Douglas Shire. By mid 2016, we will have completed over $48 million, including more than $23 million in Disaster Recovery Works (NDRRA) funded capital works.
Economic Development Initiatives
- Inaugural Douglas Business Forum – great success
- Support for tourism, agriculture, economic diversity
- Business development - Business Development Fund
- Film Locations Database
- Work & Invest in Paradise initiative: lifestyle & location, business growth: tourism, agriculture, sugar cane, aquaculture, cocoa, diversification
- Business Assistance: SpacePort, free access to up to date regional economic profile data online, promotion and supporting local and regional business develop workshops and forums, supporting small business with access to web based links, tools and grant information to assist businesses to grow and prosper
Leadership in Tourism and Events
- Support for tourism and events
- Increased funding for TPDD and certainty with a 3 year agreement
- Increased funding for Tourism, Port Douglas Daintree (TPDD), provided certainty with a 3 year agreement. Douglas Shire Council contributes more to tourism per capita than any other Local Government Area in Queensland, reflecting the importance of tourism to our local economy.